Office Max - Sale - out of stock - raincheck not available - fraud

7 of 135 Office Max reviews

On 11/28/2015 my daughter and I went to the OfficeMax #6353 at 199 Boston Post Road West, Marlborough, MA in search of a desk and office chair. We arrived not too long after the location was opened that Saturday and was able to find something that really appealed to both of us as it had the size, color and price that we did not want to pass up. Around 11am, we agreed to purchase and spoke with an associate. The associate told us that they had no more in stock and then looked online only to report that items 101095 & 101075 were not available anywhere.

I asked if I could have a “rain check” so that I can get the desk and hutch bundle at this price once it was back in stock. I insisted that I should be able to get the item as advertised, especially since the signage was still on display inside the store (which meant to be that the item should still be available). I had gone so far with my insistence that I asked if there were someone else I could speak to about the matter. The associate indicated that there was no one. The associate spoke to the manager on duty through the headset only.

The associate finally offered to have someone contact me in order to find the desk and hutch and had me fill out a form with my contact information. He indicated that the woman would be able to tell me if these items could be ordered but informed me that the sale would be over and that I might not be able to get the desk and hutch bundle at the price that was advertised.

I filled out the form as requested and was informed that we would hear something within 24-48 business hours. My daughter and I left the store feeling quite disappointed. We had lunch at a restaurant in the same shopping center where it occurred to us that we did not search for the same desk in the other two colors and that we might still be successful.

After eating, we went back to OfficeMax where we saw the same associate and asked him to search for the same desk & hutch bundle, but in the other colors (Honey Maple and Cherry). He performed his search on the computer and again indicated that they were not available. He said there was a strong possibility that this item would not restock once the supply had been depleted (which it had appeared to have done). My daughter then asked him if we could purchase the floor model. He indicated that they could not sell this particular floor model. I decided to check the display to see if they had at least taken down the signage since they knew that they were advertising an item they did not have. They had not.

I waited for my phone call, but never received one.

On 12/20/2015, my daughter and I returned to the OfficeMax in Marlborough to purchase the chair we decided on during our 11/28/2015 visit. We were able to find the chair without issue.

After picking up desk organizers for the desk we purchased from another retailer online, we circled around the area where the desk that we really wanted/preferred was displayed only to find that it was still standing and that it was on sale again. I took a picture of the display to compare to the original display picture to compare item numbers to see if it was truly the same item or something similar.

My comparison of the signage confirmed that the display was advertising the same desk a hutch that I had seen on 11/28/2015. Needless to say, I was very angry and felt cheated by OfficeMax. I not only find this experience to be unfair, but don’t know why it is not illegal.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Misrepresentation

Reason of review:
misrepresentation
Preferred solution:
Company to change policy on how they handle out of stock items that are on sale and advertised within store.
Product or service
Realspace Magellan L-Shaped Desk
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #758048

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Office Max? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
7 of 135 Office Max reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.