On 11/28/2015 my daughter and I went to the OfficeMax #6353 at 199 Boston Post Road West, Marlborough, MA in search of a desk and office chair. We arrived not too long after the location was opened that Saturday and was able to find something that really appealed to both of us as it had the size, color and price that we did not want to pass up. Around 11am, we agreed to purchase and spoke with an associate. The associate told us that they had no more in stock and then looked online only to report that items 101095 & 101075 were not available anywhere.
I asked if I could have a “rain check” so that I can get the desk and hutch bundle at this price once it was back in stock. I insisted that I should be able to get the item as advertised, especially since the signage was still on display inside the store (which meant to be that the item should still be available). I had gone so far with my insistence that I asked if there were someone else I could speak to about the matter. The associate indicated that there was no one. The associate spoke to the manager on duty through the headset only.
The associate finally offered to have someone contact me in order to find the desk and hutch and had me fill out a form with my contact information. He indicated that the woman would be able to tell me if these items could be ordered but informed me that the sale would be over and that I might not be able to get the desk and hutch bundle at the price that was advertised.
I filled out the form as requested and was informed that we would hear something within 24-48 business hours. My daughter and I left the store feeling quite disappointed. We had lunch at a restaurant in the same shopping center where it occurred to us that we did not search for the same desk in the other two colors and that we might still be successful.
After eating, we went back to OfficeMax where we saw the same associate and asked him to search for the same desk & hutch bundle, but in the other colors (Honey Maple and Cherry). He performed his search on the computer and again indicated that they were not available. He said there was a strong possibility that this item would not restock once the supply had been depleted (which it had appeared to have done). My daughter then asked him if we could purchase the floor model. He indicated that they could not sell this particular floor model. I decided to check the display to see if they had at least taken down the signage since they knew that they were advertising an item they did not have. They had not.
I waited for my phone call, but never received one.
On 12/20/2015, my daughter and I returned to the OfficeMax in Marlborough to purchase the chair we decided on during our 11/28/2015 visit. We were able to find the chair without issue.
After picking up desk organizers for the desk we purchased from another retailer online, we circled around the area where the desk that we really wanted/preferred was displayed only to find that it was still standing and that it was on sale again. I took a picture of the display to compare to the original display picture to compare item numbers to see if it was truly the same item or something similar.
My comparison of the signage confirmed that the display was advertising the same desk a hutch that I had seen on 11/28/2015. Needless to say, I was very angry and felt cheated by OfficeMax. I not only find this experience to be unfair, but don’t know why it is not illegal.
More Review Details
What I liked
What I disliked
- Reason of review:
- Preferred solution:
- Company to change policy on how they handle out of stock items that are on sale and advertised within store.
- Product or service
- Realspace Magellan L-Shaped Desk
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "The "10 year warranty" is a load of BS. After a month, the seam in my pillow opened up and the fill started to spill out. I called the company..."
- "Purchased leather Big Picture package ($1999.99) from Garner White with the leather protection coverage ($99.00). Leather Is crumbling between the cushions, arm rest, and back rest area (see pics). Product..."
- "This is how my pillow looked after just six months......I washed it after 3 weeks and the case never came clean....The fillings started to unravel inside....I felt it getting smaller..."
- "Recently took a cruise with 19 other people on Celebrity Cruises.. got to our cabin there was blood on the toilet seat, *** on the shower curtain and human hair..."
- "Banfield took my money for 7 years then 10 days after a Comprehensive well being check my cat had a stroke. Banfield said to bring him right in and left..."
- "March 8th, 2016. We bought a Braxton 72" Sofa one year ago, I was convinced by them to by the goof proof + protection plan, they said it would cover..."
- "Shipping is in the time. If there is some problem with a product then they will help you to resolve it (replys to your message at 24 hours). You can..."
- "I had a very bad expiernce . The car I bought had many issues. It was making a knocking noise. I Was not sure if it was the motor..."
- "DO NOT USE THE LAWN GUY!!!!!!!! Was just scammed and lied to about service. So mad about how we were treated! Please save your money and time. Horrible company! Was told..."