On 11/28/2015 my daughter and I went to the OfficeMax #6353 at 199 Boston Post Road West, Marlborough, MA in search of a desk and office chair. We arrived not too long after the location was opened that Saturday and was able to find something that really appealed to both of us as it had the size, color and price that we did not want to pass up. Around 11am, we agreed to purchase and spoke with an associate. The associate told us that they had no more in stock and then looked online only to report that items 101095 & 101075 were not available anywhere.
I asked if I could have a “rain check” so that I can get the desk and hutch bundle at this price once it was back in stock. I insisted that I should be able to get the item as advertised, especially since the signage was still on display inside the store (which meant to be that the item should still be available). I had gone so far with my insistence that I asked if there were someone else I could speak to about the matter. The associate indicated that there was no one. The associate spoke to the manager on duty through the headset only.
The associate finally offered to have someone contact me in order to find the desk and hutch and had me fill out a form with my contact information. He indicated that the woman would be able to tell me if these items could be ordered but informed me that the sale would be over and that I might not be able to get the desk and hutch bundle at the price that was advertised.
I filled out the form as requested and was informed that we would hear something within 24-48 business hours. My daughter and I left the store feeling quite disappointed. We had lunch at a restaurant in the same shopping center where it occurred to us that we did not search for the same desk in the other two colors and that we might still be successful.
After eating, we went back to OfficeMax where we saw the same associate and asked him to search for the same desk & hutch bundle, but in the other colors (Honey Maple and Cherry). He performed his search on the computer and again indicated that they were not available. He said there was a strong possibility that this item would not restock once the supply had been depleted (which it had appeared to have done). My daughter then asked him if we could purchase the floor model. He indicated that they could not sell this particular floor model. I decided to check the display to see if they had at least taken down the signage since they knew that they were advertising an item they did not have. They had not.
I waited for my phone call, but never received one.
On 12/20/2015, my daughter and I returned to the OfficeMax in Marlborough to purchase the chair we decided on during our 11/28/2015 visit. We were able to find the chair without issue.
After picking up desk organizers for the desk we purchased from another retailer online, we circled around the area where the desk that we really wanted/preferred was displayed only to find that it was still standing and that it was on sale again. I took a picture of the display to compare to the original display picture to compare item numbers to see if it was truly the same item or something similar.
My comparison of the signage confirmed that the display was advertising the same desk a hutch that I had seen on 11/28/2015. Needless to say, I was very angry and felt cheated by OfficeMax. I not only find this experience to be unfair, but don’t know why it is not illegal.
More Review Details
What I liked
What I disliked
- Reason of review:
- Preferred solution:
- Company to change policy on how they handle out of stock items that are on sale and advertised within store.
- Product or service
- Realspace Magellan L-Shaped Desk
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I bought a ESF sofa through a furniture store. After reviewing the specs and documentation on ESF's catalog and site I purchased a sofa. I paid a bit more for..."
- "I bought 2 Leather Sofas from Ashley's April of 2010 & purchased a warranty on them too $1,500 is what I paid for them. I had them no..."
- "It started off on a good note whereby I spoke with Michele La Flesch, the Executive Project Manager/Showroom Manager (Michele.Laflesch@ClosetFactory.com) (Office Phone: 310-516-7500 x240 & Cellular Phone: 310-404-8225)..."
- "Put a claim in for my deck to which collapsed from the heavy snow this past winter. 1st estimate was 4,000. Called a contractor given i thought it..."
- "Rear ended by inexperienced driver probablely on his phone at the wheel. Progressive not supporting my claim, more than 3 month SIU investigation. Total waste of time and money on..."
- " A week after purchasing a bed frame from the pit (clearance and discontinued items) the side of the bed gave out, at the time I had two other friends..."
- "I wouldn’t advise anyone to ever shop at this Prattville, Alabama location. If I could, I would give them zero (0) stars, but I have to give them at least..."
- "OMG DONT RENT FROM THEM!! They are slum lords! Online the pictures were of a nice house. I rented via internet moving from Florida to Indiana. What I got was..."
- "I was expecting an overnight envelope but it was delayed for a week. Followed up with email and calls but was told due to Thanksgiving, volume is high and just..."